Monday, December 17, 2007

#12 Social Butterfly: To Be or Not to Be?

For a few years now I've watched over their shoulders while my girls have carried on with their friends through MySpace and Facebook. They convinced me it was for their generation only. They were the only hip ones who could carry on through the medium of cyberspace. Well, watch out, girls! I'm right on your heels! After all, what better way to carry on a conversation with multiple people at one time than to post a bulletin on MySpace? With MySpace, a person can message people instantly, design a page that reflects their personality, post music (either original or popular music), show multiple friends in order of their importance in your life, and even post silly quizzes.

However, notice that I did not choose MySpace as my link! Are you kidding? Please -- this Digital Immigrant considers Facebook a much user friendlier option! I like the abundance of white space, therefore allowing me to feel comfortable looking at the screen. There are still plenty of options with Facebook, like privately messaging a friend or writing a bulletin to be broadcast (via RSS feed). If I were going to use something in a school setting, I would definitely go with Ning, which allows for a more closely controlled network shaped around a commonality.

No comments: