Sunday, November 18, 2007

#7 Google Alerts and More!

I explored all the things Google offers and was pretty impressed. I wracked my brain for what I could set up an alert for -- surely I could have some fun with this! Finally, after seeing a very pregnant, but very mum's-the-word-on-that-subject Jennifer Lopez on Dancing with the Stars, I set my Google Alert to tell me everything about her. I thought, Surely she is about to announce that she is expecting-- I mean, how can she keep denying that belly? And sure enough, a few days later, my Google alerts ALERTED me that indeed, she had made the big announcement! Surprise, surprise. I had a chuckle. But I thought of a more urgent need: my daughter loves Avril Lavigne, and she's coming to Dallas in the spring. I think Google needs to keep me informed on ticket prices! In the library/literary world, we could use this to alert us to new book releases, or authors coming to our area.

I also experimented with the calendar in this very busy holiday season. If need be, I can let family and friends view this online. This is pretty cool! (As long as others don't have add-on rights!)

I'm looking forward to working with the Google Notebook for researching online for the book that I'm writing. That's really interesting! A great idea, one that I'm going to put to good use! I can see this being used to the hilt for research purposes at school, too. Once again, though, it's Google -- and we have the filter to deal with. But the idea of an online notebook to keep notes, pictures, web addresses, etc, in a central location is super cool. I wonder if Yahoo puts out a resource like this?

No comments: