Monday, October 22, 2007

Thing #1 What I Want to Learn (from doing all this fun stuff)

I'd like to get more comfortable writing online, and make it habitual, for one thing. Actually, it seems kind of narcissistic. I find myself thinking, who's really going to care about what I think about books, or anything else for that matter? I'm just one person in the great big cyber-universe. I have a few more credentials than the average joe in terms of literature, but . . . who cares? But maybe that's my "digital immigrant" persona speaking out. I know my twenty-one year old lives and breathes on the internet, as does my eighteen year old. They wouldn't think about going on a trip without a laptop -- forbid the thought! How else would they be connected with their friends? In that respect, I've been introduced to the 2.0 world, through looking over their shoulders (before they shriek, "Mom!"). However, I don't understand WHY you would want to SHARE your precious photos with the world through something like flickr.com. That's private, for Pete's sake! But, maybe I'm thinking too broadly. Maybe it's only certain people that you can share these things with, people you designate. That would be okay -- like family or friends who you would want to share with, and not use the snail mail to actually physically send photos to. That's certainly a more reasonable thought than posting photos of your beautiful daughter for every molester to ogle online.

Okay, I'm ready to fly with this thing now!

3 comments:

mmw said...

You can definitely limit who can see your photos on Flickr. That's what I've done with our family photos - they are limited to a special family and friends group.

Debbie said...

The nice thing about Flicker is that you can keep photos private if you want

Anonymous said...

Good words.