Monday, October 22, 2007

Thing #2 The Easiest and Hardest Things . . .

The 7 1/2 Habits of Learning were very informative . . . and one of those things I wish I'd come up with. The easiest thing for me was "Begin with the end in mind". I think I do this as second nature. I'm a global thinker (as opposed to an analytical thinker), so it's much easier for me to think "big picture". It's in analyzing just how I'm going to work my way to the end that gets tricky for me!

The hardest part was first in choosing which of the remaining six habits were going to be the hardest for me to do! I finally settled on "View problems as challenges", for the simple reason that at times, my problems in the library can mount up to be more than just challenges, but as looming monsters! At least in my perception. That will be the hardest thing to consistently overcome, I think.

Some of the challenges that tend to mount and loom over me are clerical in nature, because they accumulate and wait for me, drumming their long dirty fingernails on the library counter while I try to do the important things, like discuss books with students, help students locate books, talk with teachers about how we will work together on future research units, and conduct those research units in the library and computer lab. That incessant drumming on the counter gets louder and louder, and I keep nervously looking over my shoulder at those clerical tasks that, as time passes, seem to take on an uncanny likeness to the Grim Reaper. Soon, I'm giving in to the Reaper's intimidation, and I'm shelving those books, or I'm caught behind the checkout desk during research, or I'm stressing about how many books are not where they should be on the shelf.

What's a librarian to do?

One thing I did recently was to send a Volunteer Wanted letter to parents, for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised at the great response I received!

Now I just have to figure out how to train them all in the most time efficient way! A challenge, not a problem!

No comments: