Monday, January 14, 2008

Thing #20 YouTube: What Fun!



I've been a fan of YouTube for a while now. Who isn't? It's hilarious! I could obsess on it for hours. One of my favorites is the Cadbury Gorilla, a very intense gentleman. TeacherTube is instructional, and that's great for finding another way to present material, especially to our media-starved students. There's something charming about homemade videos over professional videos that keep us watching -- why is that? I think that is part of what sells YouTube, besides having instant hilarity at your fingertips. The absolute funniest, one that I could never present to students because of the occasional profanity, is the one that features a tiny little girl and Will Ferrell, with the child acting as if she is his landlady.

There are limitless uses of YouTube in the library and school, not only bringing the videos into the building but also creating a video (for Children's Book Week or National Library Week, etc.) by students, for students. That's what I didn't see when I was looking for videos on books, libraries, or school libraries. I saw some mighty boring looking things, too, believe me, but nothing that looked like it was celebrating those weeks, or nothing that looked like it was created by young students. This might be a fun challenge to take on.

No comments: