Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Thing #23 (wow!) Creative Commons

"Creative Commons" is a term I seem to remember Mary and Debbie talking about during one of our staff development sessions--maybe last spring? But it didn't become real to me until I started working with Flickr. That's when I had to pay attention to that term to make sure I used the right pictures in my blog.

I think this new turn of the corner on the traditional copyright is very interesting. It directly reflects this digital generation's collaborative nature, embracing technology and creativity (changing the image in some way) yet still retaining some of the original rights. On one of the creative common sites, I noticed that the CC has been updated. How typical. Ever changing and evolving. That's progress. I think we had no other choice in this age of changing and emerging technology but to change and mutate, if you will, the old, traditional copyright laws. They were hardly working with the world of paper and pencil, much less something as slippery as the web.

Creative Commons allows us a lot more latitude in working with images, videos, and other things we borrow. It's a whole new caveat in the world of educating our students about copyright.

No comments: