Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thing #21 Podcasts

Podcasts are nothing new to me, or really to any of us, because we've have staff development on this before. Because of our training, I already knew that podcasts were audio broadcasts of information using a source like itunes (most commonly), and that these broadcasts are provided on an episodic, consistent basis. I also have had personal experience with podcasts through receiving them through itunes and listening to them through both my computer and my ipod. The podcast I listen to the most is a church service provided by a church I went to a few years ago. Because churches have services every week, they are a natural for podcasting.

I looked at several directories for podcasts, and ended up enjoying Yahoo's service best. I took a "tour" of New York City's Bryant Park and 7th Avenue, and found a cool reading site designed for reluctant readers (Reading Rockets) which also features several interviews with children's authors. I was disappointed when these interviews wouldn't feed into my Google Reader, but I did subscribe through Itunes for the latest interviews (Brian Selznick on The Invention of Hugo Cabret included!). However, I did add a very geeky podcast to my Google Reader: The Typical Mac User Podcast. And if you don't think it's geeky, just click here and have a listen.

No comments: